Thursday, January 30, 2014

Practice Parenting





by Susan


Though I am not a parent yet, I do have three godchildren. The oldest is 21 and the youngest is 5. The middle godchild, age 10, is the one I spend the most time with because I pick her up from school each day, and she spends snow days and the summer vacation days with me. Of the three of them, I would say she is the one I try my future parenting skills on the most.

I've known Kendall, who I usually refer to as Little Mamas (that's a story for another day), since she was one year old. It has been a blast watching her grow up and turn into a caring, compassionate, intelligent young lady. She has strong female role models in her mother, grandmother, and dare I say, me.

As I said, I think how I interact with her is how I will eventually interact with my own children. I give her good doses of love, encouragement, and reality. Her mom is amazingly tolerant of all three, even though I am sure sometimes she wishes I would tone it down a little on some aspects.

I recently asked Kendall what kind of mom she thinks I will be. She said, "You will be the one who goes up to the school a lot... You should consider home schooling." You know, she is probably right. One of my frustrations when I help her with schoolwork is how the curriculum has changed since I was her age. Sheesh, I know that I am getting old when I lament the lack of social studies and citizenship being taught. I like to joke with her that I am going to sit in on her class one day.

Concerning social studies and citizenship, I feel the need to step in and fill her in on the things she isn't getting a steady diet of at school. As a result (and with the support of her mother, I don't want people to think I just do these things without permission), Kendall has helped out on a political campaign, saw a presidential candidate, and can name senators and representatives from various states. That is very important to me, because I want her to grow up with a healthy understanding of how our nation works and have the confidence to get involved in the process.

My biggest and most important "parenting" has definitely been in the area of her spiritual growth and teaching her the importance of helping others. Again, it is something reinforced by her mother as well. In April of 2013, my family took in a family friend who had just been released from prison after serving 11 years. The charge is not important, but it did require some conversations to happen. He was going to be living with us, and therefore interacting with Kendall. Her mother and I discussed what to tell her about the whole thing. At first, we decided that we would just say he moved back to town, especially since she wouldn't really see him right away.

Because Kendall is wiser than her years, she caught on quickly and already had the story figured out by the time we told her the details. At her age, she would have every reason to be scared by the thought of an ex-prisoner being around. Instead, she didn't bat an eye. She has since become one of his biggest advocates. It makes me so proud that she gave him unconditional acceptance. .

This is the girl who writes letters for me to take to people in Guatemala, the girl who makes rainbow loom bracelets for a missions auction, the girl who watches out for bullying and puts a stop to it. She does for the least of these. I couldn't be prouder. Her mother has done a wonderful job, and it is my pleasure to re-enforce those values and watch her grow into a woman of God.

So what kind of parent will I be? Surely I will be one who goes up to the school alot. More importantly, I will be one who teaches her children that they have a place and an obligation to further God's kingdom by seeing individuals for who they are and showing kindness and compassion to  them along the way.

See you in the Round!
Susan

1 comment:

  1. How great that you get the opportunity to invest in her life and see her grow!
    My husband and I babysit a good bit, and it does feel like a little glimpse into what our life may look like with kids someday.

    ReplyDelete