Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Good News

by Elaine

I have been thinking a lot this week about why exactly I believe what I believe about Jesus.  Every other reason a side (apologetics, historical proof, etc.), it is THE best news that I have ever heard.  I would much rather believe the Jesus of the Bible over anything else that the world offers.


In my last post, I referenced Philippians 2:1-11 when talking about living out Christ’s example of humility.  Now, I would like to simply meditate on the fact that my God became man and died to set me free.


I have found that in most other world religions, a set of strict rules is provided to help mostly good people become even better people and maybe, just maybe, gain favor with God and a pass into heaven.  God may be merciful, but you have to at least do your part in tipping the scale toward good rather than bad throughout the course of your life.

It is NOT about being Good

The beauty of Christianity is that I do not have to be a “mostly good person”.  I know and can freely admit that I am a bad person.  A person who messes up on a daily basis.  A person who continually fails.  A person who is stained, marred, blinded and stuck in a miry pit of sin and selfishness.


However, in the midst of my sin and selfishness, the perfect, holy, King of all Kings, Beginning and End, Savior and Redeemer came to earth, lived life, obeyed the Father, and submitted Himself to death on a cross.


It did not end there.  God raised Him to life and lifted His name above all names.  Through Him, life and freedom are available to us all and we can come just as we are; broken, and dead in our transgressions.

A Daughter of the King

So, I can admit that I am not anywhere close to perfect and I can even admit that I am terribly rotten.  How does the God of the universe, the Almighty respond?
“Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.” (Romans 8:1-2, NASB)
The law of the Spirit of life is freedom.  It has set me free.  My sin is removed; I am no longer dead.  This is so much greater, better than systematic rules to follow.  Not only this, but God also takes this freedom much further,
“ For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, “Abba! Father!” The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him.” (Romans 8:15-17, NASB)
Wow. Reading this, I am utterly awe-struck.  I am not only free, but I am also adopted.  I can call myself a Daughter of the King.  I do not think I really have anything else to say.  I think I will just dwell in these beautiful words and conclude by saying I would so much rather believe this, follow this, commit to this, live and die by this than anything else in the entire world.


See you in the Round!
Elaine

*Scripture quotations taken from the NASB.

1 comment:

  1. We just talked in Sunday School about how calling God "Abba" sets the stage for such an intimate relationship. Daughter of the King indeed!

    ReplyDelete